Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Old quilt

Yesterday my friend Elisabeth and I was on a little "girl-trip" to celebrate her birthday some days ago and mine upcoming birthday. We started our trip by visiting an old manor. We knew there was a very old quilt there. We do not know the story behind this quilt. But we guess it is made between 1850 - 1900. The quilt is log cabin and it is made of silk fabric. We believe this quilt have belonged to the house because the people that lived there was rich and had one of the biggest farms in the district. I guess a poor family at that time would not have made a quilt out of silk fabric.

One interesting thing about this quilt is that they have used a black piece to start the log cabin with. I know the most common colour of the inner piece should be red or yellow to imitate the fire. Using black is very special.
Here is the quilt laying on the bed that; referring to the history: Captain Dreyer died in 1808 after a battle between the norwegians and swedish. The bed is original, but I do not think the quilt is from that time because of the outer border that is quilted on a sewingmachine.
We wanted to get a good photo of the quilt but we dared not touch it. Then the owner of the house came and grabbed it and throwed it at the floor. Ooooooooops..... be careful.....it's antique....it's worth a lot. I guess you can imagine our eyes when she did that. But now we was able to get som good photos.
We don't know when this quilt is made or who made it because there is no lable on the back. But since this was a rich family I guess the owned a sewingmachine very early. And the quiltmaker has sewed it all together on her sewingmachine. And she have quilted the outher border on the sewingmachine. Who was this lady. What was she thinking about when she made it. History is very interesting. Below some closeups of the quilt.

I hope they understand the value of this quilt and will take care of it.


********
My arm is still hurting and today my physiolady told me to call the hosptital. And so I did. So on friday I have an appointment with the docter to see what's wrong. Both he and I guess I now have an inflammation in my shoulder.
So still now sewing. Just a few stitches on my stitchery. But I'm very good at looking at soap operas now, Dr Phil, Oprah, Survivors island aso................... I'm going crazy LOL
But I go for a long walk each day. Have to smell the fresh air and enjoy the nice weather we are having right now.
Saying for today:
There's enough warmth in a friend's hug to warm up the coldest day.

27 comments:

Rose Marie said...

It is not very often we see silk in a quilt. Glanced through a few of your posts and love the quilts and bags (wow, what a lot of them). Your owl is sweet.

Kim West said...

I would think they don't know the value since she just threw it on the floor - and allowed photos to be taken of it. To her it was just an accessory.

McIrish Annie said...

Sorry to hear your arm is still bothering you. hope it is better soon! Thanks for the pics of the antique quilt, it is beautiful!!

dot said...

Wonderful quilt. Upon enlarging the pictures you certainly can see the wear on some of thr fabrics. Surprising how she jusy through it on the floor. I know what you mean about soaps, Dr Phil and Oprah. I am right there beside you on this. I see the doc today and am praying for good news.

Anonymous said...

This quilt is sooo special and intrigueing ! To think the lady threw it on the floor, OMG, she certainly doesn't know about its value (don't you think she could maybe sell it ???). I think it must be protected (and adopted) by any means ! It may not be left like this....

We already emailed about your arm. Let's wait (and be confident) until Friday, dear. In the meantime, please be very careful ! OK, I allow you 20 small stitches... LOL

Biiig ((HUGS)) & smiles,
NADINE

Sølvis blog said...

Det var en utrolig flott skyggevirkning på denne quilten

Hedgehog said...

Love this inspiration!! Hope your shoulder is feeling better soon!

Anne Ida said...

The quilt is wonderful! It's not often you see something like it, especially in Norway. I'm starting to think perhaps black centres are as rare as one thinks - I saw one on display in Leeds this summer with black centre squares (dating from c.1880) and I have seen others as well. But I'm curious; where is this quilt? Sønsterud?

Hope your arm will be better soon! Your entertainment program doesn't sound like too much fun :o) Take care!

Katie said...

I understand the going crazy part. I'm just fortunate I can sew! Today is the first day I was allowed to drive after the surgery and I'm sitting here now realizing that I stayed out too long and I overdid it. Ouch. Hope you feel better soon!

Libby said...

What a wonderful treat for you to examine that beauty of a quilt so closely. I do hope the doctors are soon able to make your shoulder stop aching so.

dutchcomfort said...

I never saw such an old quilt before. Isn’t it great to imagine all kinds of stories behind the quilt? I hope your arm will be better soon and the Drs. can give you something to stop the pain! Enjoy all the soaps on TV. When I don’t feel well I like to watch those too!

Jeanne said...

What a beautiful quilt, May! When I saw the picture of it on the floor, I wondered if you did that and how you got away with it. VBG I hope you arm improves soon. I'm sorry it is still hurting you.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog ALL THE TIME. I read that the black centre of a log cabin quilt was a sign to slaves in America that there was danger ahead when they were trying to escape.
(The Underground Railroad "Quilt Code"
I hope your arm gets better..I miss you blogging.
Jocey
from Canada

Clare said...

As Nadine says, couldn't the owner be persuaded to sell it to "someone" who would love it as it should be loved. Treated like that and the silk fabric won't last much longer.

Sorry to read that you have got to go back to the hospital on Friday and, worst of all, that you can't sew. A quilter's nightmare!

HanneJ said...

Huff, gammel silke kan bli porøs, det burde dama vite! Men den var nydelig! Uvanlig og flott med svart i "åren", og den mørke kanten rundt i tillegg. Jeg har blitt litt allergisk mot mørke stoffer, men denne var absolutt inspirerende og utrolig flott. Heldig er du som har fått studert den på nært hold.

Gail said...

What a wonderful old quilt! Thank you for sharing it with us. Take care of your arm.

Jenny said...

The quilt looks to be in pretty good condition. I hope the treat it right.
I nice fall walk sounds like a close second to sewing.

HanneJ said...

Hei igjen. Tror jeg har fått fikset det du nevnte, jeg er ganske ny med blogspot ;)
De japanske bøkene har jeg kjøpt to steder, her: http://stores.ebay.com/Rose-Tree-Arts-and-Crafts

og her: http://stores.ebay.com/BuyJpop

Den husboka var helt fantastisk, men synes det er vanskelig å finne tak i stoffene. Desiree er ikke et alternativ når det kommer til store kvanta, jeg har ikke ubegrenset med penger heller ;)

HanneJ said...

Takk for hjelp! Hvis jeg fikk det til nå da...

Elin said...

Have you read The Runaway Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini? There is a quilt with black center, maybe it has something to do with the slaves. Maybe the quilt comes from America?

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day with your friend! Hope you have good news at the doctor!

Patti said...

The quilt is marvelous! All those weighted silks. I see the fabric is already deteriorating in places due to the metals used to make the silks. Yes, I certainly hope they take care of it!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are still hurting! I hope its something simple that a round of antibiotics will cure.

Anonymous said...

Love the old quilt. I bet you really were shocked when she threw it on the floor. LOL

atet said...

I love that quilt -- it reminds me of an antique log cabin quilt I own that was made by a great great grandmother (I think). This one is in MUCH better condition though. Thank you for sharing! I hope your shoulder is feeling better soon and that you and your doctor can find out what is wrong!

Teodo said...

Thanks for these pics, its a beautiful this old quilt.
Sorry for your arm, I hope you will better as soon as possible.
ciao ciao

Juliann in WA said...

Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us. My husband is recouperating from back surgery and like you is bored silly with the limitations. As I say to him, stick with it and let yourself heal.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Sorry your arm is still hurting. I hope it starts to improve soon. that log cabin quilt is to die for!

Related Posts with Thumbnails