Monday, September 01, 2008

Stitchers' Angel Sewing Bag

Now it's my week to give you a pattern in the Stitcers' Angel Club. Due to the timezone some of you already have waited almost a day for it, and for others I guess you have not woke up yet. I'm soon ready to go to work, but first I will present what I have made for you:


The Stitchers' Angel Sewing Bag



You can download the whole pattern in pdf here: The stitchers Angel Sewing Bag.



Cutting:

Cut the following pieces for your bag:

5x7 inch for the stitchery

2 strips 4 x 5 inch, 2 strips 14 x 3 inch and 1 piece 14 x 10 inch in fabric for the main bag.

2 pieces 1x10 inch fabric for the inner bag and 2 strips 2 1/2 x 9 inch for cord casing

2 pieces 14 x 10 batting



You also need 5 small buttins for flowers and two 36 inches cords to pull the bag together



I have used 1/4 inch seam allowance



Stitchery:


Use a pigma pen to trace the stitchery pattern. Centre the design and trace onto the fabric you have chosen to stitch on. This can be done by either using a light box or tpe the pattern and fabric to a window. I always use a very thin batting or iron-on Pellon behind my stitchery to hide the threads. Or just place another piece of cotton fabric behind the stitchery. I have used DMC embroidery thread in different colours. Just take a look in your thread scrap bag and use the colours that match the fabric you have chosen for your bag.


You find the stitchery pattern on the pdf file.


Front and back of the bag:

Take your two strips of 4x5 inch main fabric and sew it on top and bottom to the stitchery. Then sew the two strips of 3 x14 inch to the left and right side of the block. Make sure it measures 14 x 10 inches.

Place this on top of your batting. Quilt as desired. If you don't dare to do any fancy free motion quilting, just quilt some slightly bowed lines. This will be the front of your bag. I often use another "old/ugly" fabric behind the batting to make it easier to quilt.


Do the same with your 14 x 1 inch piece of main fabric. This will be the back of your bag.


Cord casing:
Take your two 2 1/2 x inch strips to make the casing. Fold the short ends and stitch them down. Fold each piece wrong side against wrong side and stitch with /4 inch seam allowance on the long side. Iron the casing with the seam in the middle of the back side. You will now have two casings. (on the photo you can see 4 strips, but this is only to show you how to do it)


Place one casing on each fron bag piece 1 1/2 inch from the top. Stitch it down on the long sides

Flower buttons:
Now is the time to sew on your buttons to make the flowers on the stitchery.


Sewing the bag together:
Place your two front pieces with the right sides together and stitch the bottom, right and left sides together. In the left and right bottom corner you draw a square of 2 x 2 inches. Cut and remove this square.


Open the cornes and sew them together as shown on the photo below.
Do the same with the fabric for your inside bag. But remember to leave an 5 inch opening in one of the long sides.



Putting it all together:
Turn the inside bag with the right side out and put it down into the outside bag. Make sure the seam allowance in both sides meets and pin it together. Sew with 1/4 inch seam allowance around the top.


Then flip the bag through the opning in the inner bag, sew the opening together and put the inner bag down into the frontbag. Make sure it looks ok on the top and topstitch along the top edge with 1/4 inch seam allowance. Sew the opening in the inside bag.
Cut two cords 36 inch lengths. Using a safety pin on the end, thread one cord through one side opening in the cord casing. Thread the cord right around the bag and take it out through the same opening. Repeat for the secong lenght of cord, starting and finishing at the opposite opening. Tie the ends of the cords together.
Your bag is now ready to be filled with the other projects presented by the Stitchers' Angel Designers.

I hope you have enoyed making this sewing bag. It was fun designing it for you. If you are having trouble understanding the pattern, just send me an email and I will try to anser you.


And I will love seeing photo of your bags so if you make it please send me and email with link to your blog so I can se.


Happy stitching!


64 comments:

Ulla said...

Dear Angel Designer

You have made just a fantastic "bag" for us.

Thank you so much

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi May, thank you for such a great pattern and all the work you and the others are putting into this.
Hugs and keep stitchen'
Bonnie

Käranån said...

Tack för en bra beskrivning! Fin bag, det röda tyget tyckte jag om. Hjärtat som ligger bredvid måste jag fundera ut hur man ska sy, kan det vara 9 st.hexagons...?

Lorraine said...

thanks for a great pattern....perhaps it could have also included some time to make it! LOL.....I am keeping them all until I have some spare time.....2015 is looking good right now!

Elin said...

Congratulations, wonderful pattern and tutorial, I'll defenitely make this one!

SusanPatch said...

Simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing with all of us this pattern and for your great work.
Hugs from Malaga, Spain.

Anett said...

Dear May Britt,

a wonderful Idea! Love your bag.

Greetings from Hannover Anett

julia said...

Hi May Britt,
what a gorgeous pattern you designed - congrats & thank you for sharing.
Great idea that Helen included you in the stitchers' angel design team ;o)
Hugs, Julia

Marita said...

Den er nydelig May Britt og flott leksjon også! Skal anbefale til mange som ikke vet helt hvordan man kan sy sånne :o) Du er bare sååå flink. Ha en flott uke.

Monika said...

Heisann
Tidlig opp og full fart i fjøsen - MÅTTE bli tidlig ferdig slik at eg fikk komme inn og se kva du hadde funnet på - og gjett om eg vart GLAD da
Kjempe fine - smil fra monika

monique said...

Thanks for such a wonderful patern!

Stitching Angel said...

your dear kind Angel. thank you so much, I must make this for my mortal. Thank you thank you thank. Can you tell I like it.

Cathy said...

Lovely little bag!!! Thank you for this pattern May....another sewing bag to add to my to do list!! Cathyxx

Inger said...

Tusen takk for et nydelig mønster. Denne blir jeg absolutt å lage.

Sarah said...

I like the bag and LOVE the stitching - beautiful design May.

Julz said...

Thank you MayBritt for our lovely new project in the Angel's swap. Happy stitching. Hugs Jx

Kimonos and Sushi(OLD BLOG) said...

Hi May,
This project is just so beautiful.
Thanks for the design. A must for the to do list...
Andrea

Carol said...

May Britt that is absolutely the most wonderful bag.

Jo in TAS said...

Oh May you've done a wonderful job, beautiful stitchery.

Mila said...

Guauuuu!!!
Very pretty and lovely!!! I love this bag, so... sure you will see my photo...
Thanks for that lovely Angel desing
Kss.
Mila

Abby and Stephanie said...

What a darling bag!!!

Candela said...

Thank you for the very useful tutorial. I'm glad you're getting better.

María Elena said...

Wonderful sewing bag!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Lovely Angel bag - thanks for sharing such a great pattern.

Unknown said...

I love this bag, as you know I have wanted the pattern for a long time, thank you, thank you May Britt.

Karen said...

May:
I love the sewing bag. It is beautiful. I can't wait to make it. I know I will make many sewing bags for gifts. Thanks. Karen

Karen said...

May:
I love the sewing bag. It is beautiful. I can't wait to make it. I know I will make many sewing bags as gifts. Thank you for the wonderful pattern. Karen

Lavinia said...

Oh! so lovely! thank you!! I´m doing it!! Hugs from Argentina

em's scrapbag said...

Great bag. Hoping to find a moment or two to make it. Thanks for the tutorial. Your time is appreciated.

Jeannett said...

Beautiful bag....!! hermosa bolsita me encanta. Gracias por el diseño y el tutorial tan bien explicado.
Saludos desde Bolivia (jrivero@ine.gov.bo)

Satu said...

Hej May-Britt,
I have read your blogsite a few years now. And I have to admit you have been one of my most inspirising quilters' paragon. You have shown me a lot new things about quilting world. Tack för dig! Och jag är mycke glad att du är en av Stitchers' Angel Designer.

Monika said...

This pattern is great! I love angels! Thank you so much!
Monika

sammyjo said...

Oh i've been wondering how to make these, i've tried several times but didnt like what i was left with!

Thank you so much for the T :D

Noémia said...

It's lovelly your bag and pattern!Thank you dear Angel for your work. I will make this bag, for sure, when my work rotine begins!

Joy said...

The bag is just adorable!!! Thank you so much for the work you've put into it :o). Can't wait to make it!!!

Sherri said...

Thank you! I so appreciate all of the work you and the other Angel Designer's have done. It is so fun each week to see the new project...I'm going to make them all!

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! I'm sure I could do this even though I only have a few months sewing under my belt. But I wouldn't do it for awhile, this is something I know my mother in law would love even more! I hope you don't mind I added your URL to my blog! My mom is/was big into sewing she might want to take a look at your blog! I looked at afew of your projects and I have to say I love the little makeup bag, it would be so easy for me the way you layed it out for everyone!

Bonnie

Ruth said...

Thanks for the lovely tutorial!

Ruth xx

Chookasmum said...

Hi May Britt
thank you for the lovely bag pattern with stitchery, I am looking forward to making this when I finish all the birthday pressies
Cheers

Unknown said...

A beautiful pattern! I really loved the stitchery. Thank you!

Hanne said...

I have so much enjoyed making your bag!
The stitchery is super cute :-)

Unknown said...

thank you so much for this delightful treat! What a a beautiful bag!

Encarni said...

Hello! Thanks for the lovely tutorial. Encarni from Granada Spain.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a wonderful cuuute pattern ! And with such good explanations and pictures... You did a GREAT job, dear !

THANK YOUUUUUUUU :>)

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Heikesquilt said...

Hi May Britt,
You did a great job, what a wonderful angel.
I stitched mine not as a bag, I needed a bookcover.
Thank You and a big hug
from
Heike

suz said...

what a beautiful bag May Britt! The instructions are wonderful. Thank you. SuzK

Jutta said...

Dear May Britt,

thank you so much for your great idea, wonderful!

Hugs, Jutta from Berlin, Germany

chiffonnette said...

Hi !
I come from France to visit you !
i like your works !
see you soon !

Thimbleanna said...

Very Cute May Britt! Thanks for sharing your angel!

Cheryl said...

Great bag...I know just the person I need to make this for. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Jossie said...

Thank you for this lovely pattern. For now I will be just doing the stitchery. But I keep the pattern and will make the bag as soon as I have time.

Anne-Grethe said...

Kjempesøt engel og flott framgangsmåte. Tusen hjertelig takk!

Sandi said...

Hi May Britt,
Thankyou for the beautiful bag pattern, I am going to start making this one today.
Sandi xx

~Marica~ said...

Tack för ett underbart broderimönster och mönstret till den. Har skrivit ut det och ska nog hinna med en sådan innan jul ;-)

Jeanne said...

Thank you so much, May, for the terrific bag. I finished one tonight using a Miss Millie stitchery. The directions were great.

Marita said...

Jeg måtte jo selvsagt lage en jeg også. Tusen takk igjen for flott mønster. Du er linket til fra innlegget mitt ;o)

Zully López-Romero said...

HOLA!!! El bolso está precioso y el tutorial muy fácil.

Saludos desde Costa Rica y muchas gracias.

日月神教-向左使 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth said...

This bag is so cute. Thank you so much for the pattern! Love your blog.

日月神教-向左使 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
日月神教-向左使 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
文章 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
乾煎白鯧Sam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angel Necklace said...

Love browsing through the posts to look at the many different Angel Bags.

They make very lovely gifts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails