Monday, April 23, 2007

My weekend at the quilt cabin

I had to leave in a hurry on thursday. Was supposed not to leave until friday afternoon after work, but when I visited the doctor on thursday morning she told be to stay home. My arm is hurting so much. And this made it possible for me to leave one day earlier. Only one of my friends who was coming with us knew I was coming one day earlier. I packed in a hurry. Did not know if I had remembered everything. But I thought that with my arm hurting so bad I would not be able to sew that much. And as usual I pack too much. And so I did this time also :)

Arriving the cabin I parked my car a bit away from the cabin and I sneaked up to the cabin. I grabbed a branch and started to knock on one window. I hoped to scare them a bit because this is a cabin far into the woods where nobody else is. But I did not manage it too well. They spotted me through the window. A lot of laughter and warm welcome when I entered the cabin.

The fireplace was warm and the coffe on the table. Perfect timing to arrive the cabin.
Just little bit of handsewing on thursday evening. Had to take care of my arm. But a lot of laughter and jokes. It is so relaxing to have such an evening with good friends.
On friday morning I drove down to the city again and brought my dear mother up to the cabin to stay some hours with us. She used to joine all these quilt trips earlier, but now she is not well enough to stay a whole weekend. She was a clever quilter earlier, but now she will not do anything more. It was so good to have her with us, and she enjoyed it so much.

When all the girls had arrived the cabin we started on our first project. A exclusive sewingbag with our logo "The spools" (TrÄdsnellene). I had made the pattern and friday evening was stitching day. Everyone finished their stitchery. And the next day we started to make our sewing bags under my instructions.

And this is how six sewingbags look like.
Thursda and friday was very cold and windy days. So it was nice to stay inside and sew. But saturday was so beautiful. And after all that sewing we had to go for a long walk. Listening to the birds singing, feel the sun warming and lot of jokes. What more can a quilter ask for.
Well, a cup of coffe by the cabin. That tasted sooooo good out in the sun.

Next project was a table runner with curved lines. I had planned to make a romantic table runner and had found light fabrics together with a rose fabric. I think they matched good together. The clue with this tecnique is to have fabrics that is almost similar in colour. And then we started to cut the fabric with our rotary cutter. A bit scary. Would I manage to get the curves nice. Would I manage to sew them togehter nice.

With a glass of red wine it was no problem cutting beutiful curves.
Looking through the window sunday morning was a chock. It was snowing and blowing like h....
So it was with very good conscience we stayed indoors and continued our sewing. And we almost managed to complete our table runners. I only have to get the bindings on mine. And it will be beautiful on my kitchen table. My DD said to me when I came home: Finally you have made something romantic, please make more. So my next projects will be to make pillows and wallhangings in a romantic style.
Besides the sewingbag and the table runner I did some hand stitching too.
I completed two more daisy blocks, so now I have five. Will prepare more of them today.

And I handquilted some more on my wheels. I love this quilt, but I have a lot of handquilting to do on it. But not now when my arm is hurting that much.

We had a great time and we have already dated our next trip in august. I am already looking forward to that weekend.
Saying for today:
Friendships are sewn... one stitch at a time

19 comments:

Carole said...

Wow, what a wonderful retreat! Despite your arm hurting, you certainly accomplished quite a bit! I do hope that it's nothing serious with your arm. The bags turned out lovely and the wheel quilt is beautiful! Isn't it amazing what a class of wine will allow you to accomplish! lol ;o) Thanks for sharing!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sounds like a great weekend! and what beautiful projects!

Darlene said...

What a wonderful retreat get away! You are soooo talented and such an inspiration to me and many!

Libby said...

Sounds like a wonderful time - made even more special that your mom could spend the time with all the ladies. Such a pretty place - hard to get work done *s*

Nancy said...

What a beautiful place for a retreat!!! sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. And so great that you could take your Mom for at least a few hours. I bet she enjoyed that. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds soooo good ! I wish I would have been there with you. How great for your mum, too !
You really did a fantastic job, May Britt. All your works are beautiful ! Thanks for showing...

Biiig hugs & smiles from
NADINE
(who is now with her tongue down to the floor, admiring your wheels quilt. My oh my, isn't it gorgeous, that one !

Susan said...

Your retreat looks fabulous. I love a nice fire when it's cold out. Your mom looks like she is jogging on that walk! How nice that you could spend time with her.

Paula, the quilter said...

I really do like those daisy blocks and can't wait to see how you put them together.

Nicole said...

Your retreat sounded idyllic! Nothing better in the world than to get away with girlfriends and sew! And you are so fortunate to have your mum with you to enjoy. How fabulous that you included her, she must have loved it!

Ms. Jan said...

What a productive and fun weekend you had and such a special treat for your Mom to get to join in. Thanks for sharing it with us. =)

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

The perfect weekend. With friends, long walks and quilting. The projects you made look lovely.

Chookyblue...... said...

Great weekend was had by the pics. Lots of fun, friendship and sewing. Can't wait for July when I go on a quilting retreat.

Cynthia said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time at the retreat. Hope there isn't any thing to serious with your arm.

Nice to see some of the Daisy blocks :-)

Little Penpen said...

I'm so jealous! I wish I had a group of friends to quilt with... and then a cabin for retreats would be even better! What a wonderful life you have there! Sorry your arm is hurting, hope it is better soon. I love your projects and can only imagine what you can accomplish with two "good" arms! Your work is beautiful.

Linda C said...

What a lovely spot for a retreat--the fireplace looks so cozy. How sweet to have your mother come with the group for a time. I believe you look like her--do people tell you that?

Wonderful projects you have going--as always. Hope your arm starts behaving better too so you can keep piecing and quilting.

Susan said...

Seems as though a wonderful time was had by all..........

Now that you are home again and all recharged I will be even further behind you.......VBG

Rose Marie said...

What a great place to get away and relax and talk and laugh and work together! It's wonderful that your Mom was included for a bit of the time.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

What a great lot of achievements in a weekend. Look after the arm ...and I loved your mail, Tracey

Hedgehog said...

Oh, it looks like you had so much fun!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails