Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday thoughts

Today it's Mothers day in Norway. I have visited my mum and both my children called me on the phone. And I found this beautiful poem on the net that I will share with you all.



It takes a Mother's Love
to make a house a home,
A place to be remembered,
no matter where we roam.

It takes a Mother's Patience,
to bring a child up right,
And her Courage and her
Cheerfulnessto make a dark day bright.

It takes a Mother's Thoughtfulness
to mend the heart's deep "hurts,"
And her Skill and her
Enduranceto mend little socks and shirts.

It takes a Mother's Kindness
to forgive us when we err,
To sympathize in trouble
and bow her head in prayer.

It takes a Mother's Wisdom
to recognize our needs
And to give us reassurance
by her loving words and deeds.

It takes a Mother's Endless Faith,
her Confidence and Trust
To guide us through the pitfalls
of selfishness and lust.

And that is why in all this world
there could not be another
Who could fulfill God's purpose
as completely as a MOTHER!

Helen Steiner Rice

I know Nadine is safe back home in Belgium after her visit to me. We did not say goodbye to eachother........just "see you later".
While she was here we took a workshop together and we manage to finish our quilt tops before she left. There is still a lot of work to do on them. A lot of applique on the stars and on the background. But I will enjoy finding appliquepatterns in my japaneese quiltbooks. I know I will applique baskets, flowers and hearts on mine.
Nadine spoiled me with presents when she arrived my house. And now I have another addiction. I can't stop reading this book!!!!!! Nadine gave me the three first Elm Creek books. I LOVE THEM. Can't stop reading. I'd heard about them and had planned to buy them. And Anne Ida had #4-5-6 double, so she will let me buy them from her when she comes back from australia.
And Nadine also gave me this wonderful japaneese quiltbook. There's a lot of inspiration in this book.
And some beautiful japaneese fabrics.
This weekend I have been working on my Butterfly garden.
I love doing needleturn applique and now I have two new "tools" to help me.
I love this silkthread. I know Leanne used it on her Butterfly garden and I asked my quiltshop to order it. Nadine gave me the dark one and I bought the light grey in our quiltshop. It's so lovely to applique with it. I can really recomend it.
The next "tool" is the Roxanne glue-baste-it. I got it from Kim at Honeysuckle Cottage. A small bottle of glue which helps me to keep my small applique pieces at place. Leanne showed us how she used it when she had her workshop in Trysil. I love both my silkthread and the glue.

Saying for today:

Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and trees, by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers and sisters, aunts and cousins, but there's only one mother in the whole wide world.
~author unknown~

29 comments:

May Kristin said...

The poem is beautiful!
I can see you had some wonderful days during Nadine's visit! What a great idea to go to a workshop together and make a quilt. I am sure this quilt will be special to you both!
Look fotward to see more of your Butterfly Garden!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, sweetie ! (you are such a good mother)...
THANKS for the poem, also.
As May Kristin says, YESS this quilt we made together at the workshop will be particularly cherished and I was soooooo lucky to have you by my side to help me !

(Enjoy your presents, you deserve them so much) :>)

((HUGS))& smiles !
NADINE

Michelle said...

Are you sure you two aren't two long lost sisters? You look so much alike! I am so happy you had such a wonderful time on your visit, and I know how goodbye's are. What a blessing your friendship is.

The poem is lovely, and your gifts are just awesome!
Michelle

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Happy Mothers Day and the poem is lovely. The quilt you and Nadine have done is so 'very nice',and your Butterfly Garden that is so cute, look forward to seeing that one completed as well. Would love to be able to do needle turn applique.

Sweet P said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Your Butterfly Garden block is looking very pretty.

I followed your visit with Nadine. Both of you had a wonderful time. How great to visit with a blogging friend.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love the poem and wish I could have been at the Quilter's get together it looked great!!!
What a full post you have today, a feast for the eyes, Tracey

Hanne said...

Happy Mother's Day May Britt !

Thanks for sharing the progress of your quilt tops. I am so much looking forward to follow the progression.

Needle, Thimble and Thread said...

If you run your silk thread through bee's wax until it looses it's curls(about 6-7 draws) you can prevent the thread from tangling when you are stitching with it.

If you can't find any little bee's wax pieces email me and I will send some over that I make.

Happy Mother's Day!

Leanne said...

Happy Mothers Day- Your quilt tops look great. Isn't silk thread just wonderful to work with.

Jeanne said...

Happy Mother's Day! I hope you had a wonderfuul day. The tops you and Nadine made at the workshop are wonderful and twice as special since you did them together! I bet that was a lot of fun. Your presents are terrific. Thanks for the lovely poem, too.

meggie said...

This is a beautiful post May Britt, full of lovely words & photos.

Gail said...

looks like you had a lovely time with Nadine, and your butterfly garden is looking fabulous. I met Anne Ida today with Rose.....she is having a lovely time, the weather is glorious in Melbourne today..I will see her again in Tasmania on the weekend.

Darlene said...

Happy Mother's Day, May Britt!

The quilt(s) you and Nadine made are adorable - I can't wait to see what you each decide to applique on them.

Such wonderful gifts from Nadine - enjoy!

Nicky said...

I love your quilt, those are some of my favourite tools too, the silk is a must for needleturn applique. I am starting Butterfly Garden in a class with Leanne on Tuesday so i am really looking forward to that!

The Calico Cat said...

That Japanese book looks to be very inspiring...

I have the "old" style glue - different nozzle - your's looks to a better design.

Libby said...

Happy Mother's day *s* I just love the quilts that you and Nadine made - not only will be the wonderful, but a beautiful memory of her visit.

Anne said...

What a joy to read about Nadine's visit with you. Truly warms the heart. Looks like you two have become such wonderful friends. What a blessing for both of you and for all of us that gets to read about it on your blogs. :-)

Unknown said...

Beautiful tops you and Nadine made. I find the silk thread to stick to my fingers, I just can´t stand it. Maybe I have to use more hand lotion :)

Susan said...

The poem is lovely. I love Helen Rice's poetry, but I hadn't read this one before. Thanks for sharing it!

The quilts you gals made are great. I look forward to seeing your embellishments to it. Both of you.

atet said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! That visit with Nadine sounds like it was just perfect. And what lovely gifts she brought you!

Quinta da Quilter said...

What a fun visit!

I LOVE the quilt tops! They are fabulous! Could you please share the name of the pattern?!
Thanks!

Teresa said...

That YLI thread comes from my home town - Rock Hill, SC!!! I just love your butterfly garden quilt.

Julia said...

What a beautiful poem! I hope that you had a wonderful day.

How is your shoulder doing?

julieQ said...

Happy Mother's day!! Love your quilts.

Gerry said...

Hi May! Congrats on your interview/article with Linda. She did a wonderful job of complimenting your work. Enjoy!!!

Teodo said...

Great post May Brit
You have spoken about mother,sons,and friends the more important persons of our life.
ciao ciao

Carole said...

That quilt will be such a wonderful remembrerance of your time with Nadine. Lovely! Your butterfly garden is looking lovely! That is also the thread I use for hand applique. It's so smooth! Hum.... your glue bottle is very different from ours. I've need seen the small version. It's a great product, also one of my favourite. Hum.... what applique needles do you use? I have found a kind that I am absolutly in love with. They are #11 straw needle. Enjoy your goodies!

claire said...

i love very much this sampler they is wonderfull
http://countrypatch.canalblog.com/

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love that glue! I use it all the time! I'm still not real good with silk thread, I do better with a thin cotton, but I know the silk does make the aplique nicer! Love those star quilts you guys made. And don't you just love those books! I buy them as soon as they come out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails