Saturday, October 12, 2013

Presentation and workshop with MaurTua

Today MaurTua visited my quiltgroup giving a presentation of their shop and how they recycle used shirts. They had brought a lot of wonderful quilts to show us.  So from now on I will save all shirts and cut them to pieces.  These two ladies showed us how to make use of everything on the shirt, from the arms, back and front to the cuffs and even the labels inside the shirt to the collars. 

Enjoy the photos from the presentation:

002004005006007008009010011012013014015016017040

018

After the presentation we started to sew small hearts from recycled wool fabric from mens dresses.

020022

Then the workshop started.  We had all cut a lot of squares from shirts and now we was going to swap squares with eachother.

029

18 ladies had joined the workshop and we had so much fun during the day.  And here is some photos of what they started to sew.  Remember all this is made from recycled shirts.  It is amazing how many different prints these fabrics has.  I wonder if any man ever have worn a shirt with flies, pink flowers or skulls on, but they do exist in these piles of recycled shirts.

024028030031032033035036037039042043041

Thank you Marit and Tordis for visiting our quiltguild.  We all had a great day together with you.  And I know men has to watch out for us now, we want their shirts!!!!!

045

After a long day filled with vitamin Q, I enjoy something red in my glass while doing the last stitches on this toiletpurse.

994945_628565163860813_563425972_n

And looking through the bundles of fabric I bought .  The one to the right have a lot of purple fabrics that I want to include in a new project.  The one to the left is a challenge to myself.  I am not used to sew with blue fabrics, but when I see a quilt in blue it intriques me. 

Saying for today:

4a5a6e9828c257b97b8dab7f1d840c0a

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always so nice to see women world wide working on quilts, having show and tell, using the same kind of notions (I have those green handled scissors too) using shirts for scraps - what a nice quilting world we have!

margaret said...

what a good way to use up old shirts, shame no husband to remove shirts from. A amazing variety of quilts bags etc and no 2 alike.

Raewyn said...

Oh wow, how inspiring!! It looks like everyone had a fabulous time!!

Unknown said...

Its as if you read my mind! You seem to know a great deal about this, just like you wrote the novel in it or something. I think that one could do by incorporating pics they are driving the message home somewhat, but instead of the, this is great blog. A fantastic read. Ill definitely be back.

Cardsharing Server

Bea said...

Thanks for inspiring. It´s amazing how old shirts grows to beautiful quilts.

Louise SS said...

Wow, what a fun workshop! I love to sew with old shirts and you gave me so much inspiration with your photos! Thanks.

Nana's Quilts said...

Excellent. Thanks for all the photos. It looks like they brought many lovely things and I really like what you are making. Shirts are such fun - now I ask men I know to give me their old shirts when they are finished with them, so I can cut them up. They may think I am a bit peculiar but I have some lovely ones. Or I can go to the second-hand store and sometimes find shirts. Yeah!

Ulla said...

Thank you for the inspiration! I wish I could have been there too. I have used men's shirts for my quilts from the beginning, and I carefully guide my DH to shirts I would like to use later. Or then I just simply buy him the best colours! It is often a long wait, and then the cuffs are not usable, but that's OK.

Patti said...

MaurTua is a shop, not a person, right? What does it mean in English? Curious minds want to know. :-)

The shirt quilts are very clever. I especially like the one with the labels. I'm intrigued with the idea of using shirts, but most of mine include a little spandex, and my husband wears knits - neither good choices for quilts. And with a stash the size of mine, there is no way I need to go hunting at thrift stores for 100% cotton shirts!

Leeanne said...

Fabulous workshop! recycling at it's best!

Stina... said...

Wohoo.... Totally wonderful....thanks for showing...loved to look at all the wonderful things made...so thanks for the inspiration!! :0)

Leanne said...

How cute is that top quilt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails