Sunday, August 23, 2009

Quilters birthday and a new toy

You all remember the roll of fabric from my previous post. It was hard to untie it, and it was even harder to do the first rotarycut into them.

Friday I and five other quilters met at Bente's house to celebrate her 50th birthday. And this was a quilters birthday. Hanne was going to give her a workshop in making kaleidoscop as a birthdaygift. And that included all of us too :) I had decided to use my japan roll of fabric and started to rotary cut it. When the first cut was done, it was so fun to continue and it felt so good working with these lovely fabrics.


Of course some show and tell. This quilt is so beautiful. Made by Inger Solveig. And here we are discussing how to quilt all the blocks.

Hanne is a wonderful teacher and we had all great fun together in this workshop.

Hanne is explaining Tove how to do the rotary cutting.

and it looks like Tove is having a lot of fun doing it.


A lot of laughing, sewing, rotarycutting,colours and happy faces this weekend.

And this is the start of my kaleidoscop quilt. But now a problem appeared. While waiting so long before starting to use these fabrics, I now think I will have a problem getting fabrics from the same collection to have for an outher border. So I just have to finish it and then take it to the quiltshop and see what other fabrics can be mixed with these ones.

In the evening a lovely seafood dinner.
We had such a great weekend together.
Thank you Bente, for giving this wonderful birthdayparty


And THIS is what came home with me today.
A Janome 6600
Siv Hege had bought herself a brand new sewingmachine and was going to sell her "old" one. And she made me an offer I could not refuse. So this darling sewingmachie is now in my sewingroom ready to be tested.
You can read more about this quilters birthday party on both Hanne's and Siv Hege's blogs.

Saying for today:
We are all angels with only one wing...
we can fly only embracing each other

24 comments:

Nancy in Norway said...

Looks like a great birthday! Your new toy looks interesting too.

Ulli said...

You sure know how to celebrate a quilters birthday - amazing! My congratulations on your new sewing machine - I have the same and it's a lovely machine to have - just the right tool for your new sewing room! ;-) There is a new quilters foot accessoiry out, especially for the 6600, it's on my wishlist.

Karen said...

The Mariner's Compass quilt is gorgeous! I like the fact that it is sort of pastel colored and the addition of applique is so special.
So you got a new to you sewing machine. I don't know anything about Janome sewing machines, except they put out a very good machine. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

This is a great idea to celebrate a birthday! Have you tried your new machine?

Chriss said...

Congratulations on your "new" machine. I have one and have never regretted buying it. Also what a great birthday party! Way to go!

Carin said...

Its a beautiful quilt, and what a great machine woo hoo

Unknown said...

I just love the quilt!!!! See you did need a bigger sewing room all along. I hope you can leave your new sewing machine out too. In my sewing room that DH built me, I have three sewing machines and an overlocker all along the sewing bench, ready to go!!!. Janome 9000, Janome 300E (embroidery only), Janome overlocker and a little Elna Stella with side flaps attached. I also have an Elna 7000. which was one of the first Elna Computerised machines. They all run beautifully at the moment. My DH spoilt me with this 7m x 8m room. I have so many machines because I wouldn't get enough money for them if I was to sell them. I would love an Janome 11000 or one of the top end embroidery machines, if I won the lottery. No chance of that because I hardly ever buy a ticket. Hope you have a good week. I am crocheting a baby hat at the moment. I am going to a baby shower this arvo. The wool is multi coloured, mauve, lemon, white and mint green!!! Last minute effort for a work collegue.

randi--i have to say said...

I recently bought a Janome too and I LOVE it! Much better than my old Singer!

Randi
http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/randi/

Lurline said...

What a wonderful time you girls had - I once knew a girl called Tove and she was lovely!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Annelies said...

Looks like you had a great party.
I wish you lots of fun with your new sewing machine.

Hanne said...

Thanks for a lovely weekend !
I know you will love your new machine :-)

Joy said...

What a terrific fun way to celebrate a birthday!!! I love Hanne's gift, a workshop is a perfect pressie for a quilter!!! I'll look forward to seeing progress piccies of your kaliedescope quilt - you're so brave to have cut those fabrics ;o).
By the way ... I've got the Janome 6500 (one model below yours) and I LOVE her ... you're gonna love your 6600 too, I just know it :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

a good yarn said...

Everyone looks like they had the most marvellous time and your *new* machine will be right at home in your new sewing room. Ann :)

Miriam said...

What a wonderful get together.

That quilt is amazing!!

Have lots of fun with your new sewing machine!

Teresa said...

OH, I would love to know how you put the blocks together. I have been working on my Circus Stars quilt and trying to teach myself, and I just can't decide how is best to actually assemble the block. I have had to double check all my blocks because I was not careful in cutting them out - but thankfully most were cut too big and easy to trim down. I have also found it best for me to draw my sewing lines on the blocks, but this is taking forever as I have over 2,000 pieces to mark. Just a few more now - hopefully finishing the marking tonight. I can't tell you how excited I get when all the points meet correctly in the center and the block lays flat!

Lemi said...

sjekk ut denna;
http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/object?finnkode=18630037&sid=xz2bac1k1WB851985

....og vi ska på visning, e d nokka æ bør vite? ;)

klem fra lene

Cattinka said...

This was a great party, you had so much fun. And I know you will love your Janome, they are such fine machines. I work with one since 3 years now.
KATRIN W.

Lise in Norway said...

Gratulerer med symaskin! Og godt å se at du er i gang på syrommet :-)

The Rabbit Factory said...

Enjoy your new machine...lucky you! Looks like everyone had a wonderful and productive time!

Little Penpen said...

Congrats! on the new sewing machine. And I love the picture of Tove lying across the rotary cutter board... ha ha... that looks like something I would do!

Anne said...

Ser ut som en flott helg! Tenker quilten blir fin med den dyrebare stoffrullen som utgangspunkt. Og gratulerer med ny maskin :)

quiltygal said...

Hi MayBritt I have a 6600 you will not regret it..what a great weekend you all had....cant wait to see the quilt...

Bedstes Patchwork said...

Hvor ser i ud til at hygge jer med jeres syning, grin og latter og hygge mens man syr er ikke så tosset, det ser ud til det er en fin symaskine du har fået købt også, det bliver også spændende at se dit Kaleidoscop tæppe når det bliver færdigt i de stoffer du næsten ikke kunne nænne og bruge.

Sigrun said...

Må ha vært en drømmehelg og en kjempehyggelig 50 års dag. Ser ut som om dere koste dere skikkelig. Nydelige stoff du har brukt. Og grattis med ny maskin, den kommer du nok til å bli fornøyd med. Jeg har en maken og den tror jeg har sydd mange hundre km. , men det er jo ikke kilometerer teller på symaskiner, det skulle det ha vært, akkurat som på biler:-).

Related Posts with Thumbnails