Monday, September 11, 2006

My weekend

It was very nice weather on sunday and me and my boyfriend decided we to visite the museum in Elverum. They have a very nice paths in a very beautiful area which I love to walk. The musesum has a collection of old houses. And one of them is this house below. It is a "middle chamber cottage" (this is my free translation of the name because I do not know how else to translate it LOL) This house was once in my family and was given by us to the museum. It is the only saved house of this kind in Norway. It was my grandparents house. My mother and father lived there as newlyweds for a short while. They got electricity in the house, but when the museum got it they changed it back to the old times again. But we can still see prints of wires on the wall and where the lighning once hit and it almost started to burn. They have collected a lot of items from the period 1880-1900 in the house. Some of them once was our familys things and other comes from the same area but other familys. I enjoy visiting this house and I am always thinking of how my grandparents lived in this house. My GP emigratet to USA, but when my GM did not want to travel after him, he returned to Norway. Back home it was time for some sewing. Cannot do a whole day without sewing.......can we LOL
I made another block of "my mother taught me how to sew" blocks. I do it all in freezer paper, even the tiny tiny dots. I love doing this kind of application, so I keep on doing this blocks. How many I do not know yet.

I also embellished a bit on my angel block. It is fun trying to do something else. I have always done sane quilting, but this CQ appeals also to me. I love buttons, laces and stitches so why not experiment with it. The progress is slow. I sew, unripp it and sew another stithes. But I feel more safe now. Have to order a new book. The treasure of crazy quilt stitches by Carole Sample. Have to have it LOL. Read what Sandie wrote about this book. Do you understand why I have to have it.

7 comments:

Jenni said...

Wow I think 'I' want that book! It sounds fantastic. I always think I would like to do CQ.

Cynthia said...

your appliqued block is lovely.

I also like the CQ you are doing on the angel block. It's going to look beautiful when it's finished.

Anonymous said...

NEAT! I love that museum, complete with the first person story. (pretty quilt blocks too.)

Libby said...

Thank you for sharing the story of your families contribution to the museum. It must be so special for you to be able to visit where your grandparents lived and know you are sharing with so many others as well.
I can see you are having so much fun with your cq blocks -- an addiction for sure.

Hedgehog said...

What a amazing family house and story!

MARCIE said...

How amazing to go visit the house your grandparents lived in. I would like to visit it also! I may have to look for that book, My Mother taught me...Darling block!

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Your angel block is just "heavenly". Very sweet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails